The Mount Beppo Apostolic community held its first services in 1882
soon after the land was selected and occupied. Evangelist H.F. Neimeyer
rode over in mid-November 1882 and baptised three infants of the
fourteen families. C. Meier, F. Marschke, and W. Greinke were
instrumental in the formation of the Mount Beppo church. Carl Caspar
Meier was born in Switzerland in 1853 and immigrated in about 1881 when
he married Herminia Amelia Krause at Laidley on 15 November 1881. He
selected block 148 of the Parish of Cressbrook in the Mount Beppo area,
which he occupied on 28 August 1882. He was ordained deacon of the
congregation in 1887 and services were held in his home. He served as
deacon and then priest of the Mount Beppo Apostolic community until
1894. F. Marschke also became a deacon of the community during that
time. In 1894 a church was built by Adolf Birron on Marschke's land
opposite the school, using timber supplied by Henry Somerset, and in
1911 it was removed to its present location. Priest Meier, who could
not swim, was drowned in McGovern's creek on 5 January 1898 when a
flash flood came down after a cloudburst as he was taking produce into
Esk. A new church, 50 by 25 feet with two porches, was erected in 1913.
In 1929 the congregation expanded by spending £300 to shift the
old Toogoolawah Union Church over and painted the whole building; the
church has gone on to celebrate its centenary in 1984.
Enormous celebrations were held periodically when pastors from Hatton
Vale like Rev. W. Niemeyer attended. One of the German Apostolic
church's colourful traditions is to celebrate golden wedding
anniversaries in the church. The couple enters the church followed by a
long line of descendants. The 'bride' wears a golden crown of oak
leaves and acorns with matching bouquets. Enormous corteges are
characteristic of Apostolic funerals. When Rev. F.D. Lindenmeyer,
ordained in 1900 and a keen rose gardener, died at the home of his
daughter and son-in-law, O. Granzien, in November 1941, a milelong
cortege followed his funeral. 33
The Apostolic Church commenced as the Union Church; on formation of the
new Apostolic Church at Toogoolawah the congregation sold their old
church to the Mount Beppo Apostolic congregation in 1929. Since the
resumption of land in the Mount Beppo area for the Wivenhoe dam some of
the Apostolic community has moved into Toogoolawah and swelled the
In the early 1870s the Church of England erected churches in the
Fernvale area where there was a larger population. A new church, St
Mark's, was built at Wivenhoe Pocket in 1886 and regular monthly
services were held, alternatively by the Anglican priest, Rev.
Wheatley, and Rev. Legate, a Presbyterian minister. The building was
washed away in the 1893 flood and afterwards subscriptions were
collected in Fernvale and Lowood to build a new church on a hill in
Lowood. On 15 August 1896 the parishioners celebrated the church
anniversary with a special service with popular preacher Rev. A.R.
Bartlett from Ipswich, tea meeting, football match, and a concert in
the evening. A. Bolden was Chairman of the Committee and J. Wade its
St Agnes's Church was built in Esk by Lars Andersen, a prominent
parishioner, and dedicated on 29 October 1889 by Bishop William T.
Webber, Rev. F.J. Leighton being the incumbent. The town had been
served previously by priests visiting from Ipswich and holding services
in the Union Church, later St Andrew's Presbyterian church.
After the Nestle's factory had closed, the Esk and Toogoolawah parishes
merged to become the Brisbane Valley Parish. The rector appears to have
lived in Toogoolawah from about 1933 and the Esk rectory was let. Rev.
K.A. Watts had been at Toogoolawah.
The Anglican church built small churches wherever committees raised
enough funds. Linville erected a new church in 1915 after the committee
organized several concerts in Greber's Hall to raise money for the
building and an organ.
St Agnes's church at Esk expanded during World War 1. The church
committee in 1918 represented a wide spectrum of Esk Shire interests.
C.F. Blank and J. Jones were church'wardens and the Parochial Council
comprised E. W .McConnel, G .H. Handley, Baker, N.G. Buchanan, E. Lord,
Colin Hill, L. Andersen, E. Haupt, C. Lindley, G. Shambrook and
R.Blank. The Esk Shire Council's only two shire engineers, P.W. Hill
and Graham Wyatt have been Wardens. The Ladies Guild actively raised
money for patriotic funds. and towards the church's new organ in 1918.
In 1919 the new memorial organ was dedicated in memory of Captain W.J.
Handley, killed in action in the Holy Land on 16 July 1918. The
imposing Helidon sandstone pillars and iron gates, presented by Francis
Edward Bigge, were designed and installed by Andrew Petrie of
Toowong in 1920. In 1949 a memorial window over the altar was dedicated
at the diamond jubilee by Archbishop Halse in honour of John Jones,
Eleanor Jones, and Constance E.J. Chittenden. Today the church and its
picturesque grounds present a gracious entrance to the town of Esk and
regularly one Sunday per