SOUVENIR-CHARTERS TOWERS, 1872 TO JULY,
1950 Page 51
IT is claimed that Charters Towers is the centre of the largest cattle
district in the State; it would
perhaps surprise many people however, to know that the first stock
ever brought into the district was sheep and not cattle.
In 1885, the Allingham brothers, John and Christopher, came from the
Armidale district with some thousands of
sheep and eventually settled on a ridge near the Fletcher River now
known as Euriba where, under a primitive bush shed, they had their
The Allinghams were allotted country which afterwards became
Other notable pioneers of the cattle industry were the
"Woodburns," Mr and Mrs, Joseph Woodburn. Mr.
Woodburn was originally in
partnership with a Mr, Deane as carriers as "Woodburn and Deane ;"
these two men were the pioneers of the Burdekin Meatworks, Later on Mr.
Woodburn acquired The Bluff and in 1910 placed his youngest son, Mr,
George Woodburn, in control of the property and he is still managing
The Bluff to-day.
Mr. and Mrs. Frank Anning of Reedy Springs.
In 1875, 'Mr. Frank Anning
brought his bride from Melbourne to Reedy Spring-s, travelling from
Townsville by wagonette and camping on the way, The sons of this
grand pioneer, Frank, Harry, Richard, John and William, have all played
their part in building- up the cattle industry in the district around
Mr. and Mrs. Adam Black, Pajingo.
In 1901. Mr,' Adam Black bought
into Pajingo with Mr. W- J. Paull, then of Charters Towers, Pajingo is
still run by Mr, Archie Black.
Other families of the cattle business who have played a part in the
building up of this important industry were the late Mr. J. Bell and
his wife, of Cardigan Station. Mr. and Mrs. W. Symes of
Bletchington Park. Mr. Bill Symes controls Bletchington Park
to-day. The Clark family of Mirtna and Mr, H. M, Clarke, Fanning River
The Charters Towers cattle district comprises the area lying between
the coastal and dividing ranges and between the Clark and Belyando
Rivers. The total number of cattle would he in the vicinity of 400,000
and if averaged at £10 per head would give a total value of
The main cattle are Shorthorn-Devon with a sprinkling of Herefords.
Quite recently Zulu cattle have been introduced at Wandovale.
Under present conditions most of the cattle properties are fully or
overstocked, but if more dams and water conservation schemes were
put into use, the carrying capacity of the properties could be built
up considerably. It would be safe to say that a 20 per cent increase in
stock numbers could be brought about if many more dams were sunk and
given two or three good rain seasons to replenish water supplies.
The Government are encouraging these water conservation schemes insofar
as the cost of any such
improvements to the property owners land are a direct deduction
for Income Tax purposes. I am led to believe that private owners
are taking- advantage of this allowance but not so much the
companies who control certain lands.
It is felt that there should be more schools and junior farmer training
colleges in the north and western areas. The establishment of
these schools would perhaps encourage the younger men on the land to
become more interested in working the land and raising stock.
The Department of Agriculture and Stock are desirous of assisting
graziers and stock owners to every possible extent. They have the
Animal Health Station at Oonoonba and quite a lot of people take
advantage of this station. There is also a Hereford Stud at